Thursday, April 26, 2007

Please, no advice

I need to get something off my chest that has been bothering me all day - I'm not trying to be rude but this needs to be said. Please do not give me any "pregnancy advice" because I really am not asking for any. And I would not do anything that would jepordize the health of my son/daughter (referincing my trip to the dentist). Doctors now actually tell you to take care of your teeth during pregnancy because letting the problems go is actually more harm than having it done. There is no risk to the baby by going to the dentist and having a local - just no gas is allowed. You know, I feel like I have to justify my actions to a select few people and I shouldn't have to do that. I'm not dumb and I would never do anything that would harm my baby. It's a good thing that I never said that I took some sudafed when I was sick a month ago because I can imagine the crap I would have gotten then. For those of you who don't know, there are many safe medications that can be used while pregnant and I'm not sorry for using them - especially my inhalers. My closing thought, before you open your mouth and try to give me some "advice" that I never asked for, think about how upsetting it is for me to be judged by what I "should and should not" be doing while I'm pregnant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You never know what studies are going to show what and what is going to be recommended next. Medicine is a constantly evolving science. Bobbie’s mom was probably told that all dental work was off limits at one point, then later it was found that local anesthetics were safe while gas was not. Nitronox, better known as laughing gas that they give you at the dentist, is a medication we carry on the ambulance. We use it as an additional or alternate pain control to Morphine and Dilaudid. But whats interesting is, in our standing orders for Hennepin County EMS system paramedics, Nitronox is a permitted medication to give for pain control in labor and delivery. We are not allowed to give any IV meds since this would be harmful. It makes me wonder if gas could potentially be harmful too. Bobbie, I hope you don’t mind me rambling here but I thought it would be an interesting discussion. Especially if Sarah reads this and we could get her input.