Saturday, March 31, 2007

The first post in way too long

So I haven't posted for almost 2 weeks and there is a really good reason for that. Last week I came down with a really bad head cold and I missed quite a bit of work because of that. This is the cold that refuses to go away because I am still dealing with the remnants of it. This past week Brice and I took our annual trip up to the north shore for our anniversary. We drove up on Sunday night after Brice got home from work. We were a little worried about the thunderstorms the weatherman said we were supposed to get that night but ended up driving through clear skies with no rain. Once we got a little farther north we ran into some pretty dense fog but ended up getting to the lodge just fine. On monday there was still quite a bit of fog blowing off of the lake but we ended up doing some sightseeing anyway. The first stop was to Split Rock Lighthouse which is always fun because there are a bunch of little woodpeckers that live up there and I really wanted to get a picture of a couple of them but of course, they were all hiding out! I did end up getting some pictures of the shoreline complete with fog!



I also took this picture of the lighthouse from the base. I think it turned out pretty cool!



On our way from the lighthouse to Gooseberry falls we saw a bald eagle flying around! He landed on a tree top and we were able to pull over and take a picture of him. The camera didn't get zoomed in as much as we would have liked but you can definately see him.




Next stop was the falls - they were really raging! There is a stairway that you can go down to see the lower falls and there was so much water that it was going over one of the paths you can go down.





So the next day we went into Duluth. First stop was the zoo - they actually have a pretty nice zoo there. They have a little area in the main building where you can do some petting. I pet this really cute bunny for a long time - he was so soft!



Then, I found a little wood duck that was in with a bunch of turtles. The poor thing was hungry and kept wining for me to give her some food but I didn't have any to give her. She was too cute not to take a picture.



One of my favorite parts of the zoo are the porcupines - they are so cute! Brice took a picture of me with them.



The next day we took a drive up to Grand Marais thinking that there would be something to do but there wasn't. Pretty much everything there was closed so we ended up finding a little coffee shop and stopped to have a treat. We stopped at Cascade Falls state park and wanted to do some hiking but the winds were so strong and blowing very cold of the lake that I just didn't want to do that. Of course we found out later that the winds were 40mph! They really felt strong enough to bowl you over. While we were driving around we got kind of excited because we saw some moose crossing signs but didn't see any moose. Pretty much all of the critters were staying in the woods because of the wind and I don't blame them. Later that night we decided to drive into Duluth again to have dinner at Fitgers - that place is always really good!

We had to leave on thursday because Brice had to work that evening. It is always sad to leave up there because it is just so relaxing! Brice really wanted to see a ship leave harbor but there wern't very many ships yet so he was really bummed out.

Today I'll have to take another side picture for the scrolling pictures up above. I missed last week but took one the week before. We are now in the 10th week and I'm getting excited to be nearing the end of the first trimester. We have another doctors appointment after easter and I will keep everyone updated!

Well, I believe that is all for now. You can check my Photobucket album for more pictures of our trip.

No comments: